Vermicelli is commonly known by the name Semiya in South India and seviyan in North India. Upma is one of the favourite Indian breakfast. We can make upma using rava, oats, vermicelli,broken wheat,quinoa etc. Today I am happy to share with you a recipe of vermicelli upma which can be prepared very easily.
The total preparation time of this upma is under 30 minutes. Even if you are late from your bed in the morning and is running out of time, you can go with this quick recipe of upma.
You can use plain vermicelli or roasted vermicelli in this recipe. If you are using plain vermicelli, then first you have to roast the vermicelli in two teaspoons of oil or ghee till it becomes golden brown in colour. After that you can follow the same steps which is given below in the recipe section. I like to buy roasted vermicelli so that our upma can become more tastier.
Coming to the selection of vegetables to be used in this upma, you can choose your own favourite veggies. You can add carrots, beans, peas, boiled corn and all the veggies which are loved by your children so that they could have this vegetable rich breakfast without any hesitation from their side. Thus you could feel happy for providing a nutritious and healthy breakfast for your family. You can also add this in kids lunch box to school.
You can serve this upma hot with coconut chutney, tomato chutney or lime pickle. This upma tastes good even without any side dish. Do try this easy, quick and nutritious breakfast at your home also and let me know your valuable feedback !
- Roasted vermicelli – 2 cups
- Water – to cook vermicelli
- Peanuts – 3 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chana dal – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Chopped onions – 4 tablespoon
- Green chilli – 1
- Chopped ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Finely chopped carrots – 4 tablespoon
- Chopped beans – 3 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Lemon juice – 1 lemon
Method of preparation :
1.) Cooking of Vermicelli :
- Boil water in a vessel by adding 1/2 teaspoon salt to it
- Add the roasted vermicelli to the boiling water
- Boil for 3 to 4 minutes or till the vermicelli becomes soft
- Drain the water and allow the vermicelli to cool completely
- Keep the vermicelli aside in a bowl
2.) Preparation of Upma :
- Take a kadai and heat up the oil
- Splutter mustard seeds and then stir in the cumin seeds followed by chana dal, peanut and urad dal
- Add curry leaves and dry red chilli
- Now add chopped onions and saute till the onion turns translucent
- Stir in the chopped ginger and green chilli
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and turmeric powder to it
- Then add chopped carrots and beans
- Mix and saute for one to two minutes
- Close the lid for 2 minutes or till the vegetables are cooked well
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the cooked vermicelli to the kadai and mix well everything
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and garnish it with coriander leaves
- Vermicelli upma is now ready to serve.