Sardine pickles are one of the most delicious pickle in fish pickles. Sardines are rich in omega 3. They contain a great source of calcium and vitamin D.
This pickle is not so spicy. I had used kashmiri chilli powder, which is less spicy and provides a good colour to the gravy. Also, adding of vinegar enhances the flavour of our pickle.
The major part of the recipe is the marinating and frying of sardines. Remaining steps are very easy. Once prepared, it will be better to store in 2 or 3 bottles. Use the same pickle bottle till the pickle is finished, because the continuous use of spoon inside pickle is not so good. Or else you can refrigerate the pickle.
I can guarantee you that this is a delicious recipe of pickle and trust me, if you are going with this recipe, the final product will blow your family. That is how this pickle is. You will skip all the other curries if you have this pickle on your table. Do try this and let me know your valuable feedback!
First let’s see the ingredients for this preparation.
- Sardines – 500 g
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Chilli powder – 2 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- to taste
- Gingelly oil – to fry
- Ginger – 3 inch piece chopped
- Garlic – 15 cloves chopped
- Green chilli – 8
- Shallots – 15
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chilli powder- 2 tablespoon
- Pepper powder- 1 teaspoon
- Vinegar – 1 cup
- Curry leaves- 2 sprig
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
Method of preparation :
- Wash,clean and cut the sardines into small cubes
- Take a mixing bowl and add salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder
- Add ginger garlic paste
- Further, add the sardine pieces
- Mix everything properly and allow it to rest for half hour
- Take a non stick pan and add 3 tablespoon oil to it
- Fry the sardine pieces till they becomes crisp
- You can fry it in 2 or 3 batches
- Keep all the fried sardine pieces aside
- In the same oil (used for frying), sputter mustard seeds
- Add fenugreek seeds
- Add half of the chopped ginger and garlic along with the green chillies
- Saute it properly
- Grind the shallots along with the remaining chopped ginger and garlic, and add it to the oil
- Saute them till their colour changes
- Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder and pepper powder in low flame
- Saute till the raw smell of the powders are gone completely
- Add curry leaves
- Add salt
- Add vinegar and boil the prepared gravy
- After the gravy is boiled, check the salt and sourness and turn off the flame
- Allow the gravy to cool
- Once cooled, mix the sardine to this gravy
- Store the pickle in an airtight bottle or container.