Chicken is one of the best option in non-vegetarian list of foods to make starters or appetizers for parties and functions. This is a lip-smacking recipe of tandoori chicken which you can prepare easily in oven, grill, air fryer and also stove tops.
Tandoori chicken is a North Indian recipe, where chicken pieces are marinated with yogurt, lemon juice and spices and is then grilled or roasted until it is cooked properly. The yogurt in marinade helps to keep the chicken pieces soft after grilling. Lemon juice gives a tangy favour to the chicken and the spices helps to increase the aroma of the chicken.
Tandoori chicken were made in tandoors or clay ovens. Since modern houses do not have these facilities, we grill the same chicken in oven or stove top. I had marinated the chicken pieces and grilled them in my oven. The oven I am using is of Philips, which is very convenient for me.
You can use any pieces of chicken. It can be bone in pieces, chicken breast pieces, chicken drumsticks or bone less chicken pieces. It is upto you to choose the chicken and decide the size of the chicken pieces. If the pieces are bigger, you have to make slits on the pieces using a sharp knife. It is to make the marinade to indulge completely in the chicken pieces.
The chicken pieces needs to be washed and cleaned properly. Then the chicken pieces are marinated and kept to rest for 5 to 6 hours. More the marination time, the chicken pieces will be more juicy and tasty. The time required for grilling the chicken will be more if the pieces are big. So, you need to adjust the time and temperature of your oven accordingly.
Tandoori chickens are best served with mint chutney or mayonnaise. You can prepare both of these accompaniments at your home itself. This is an easy to go recipe of chicken since there is no chopping of onions or tomatoes for the preparation of gravy. Everyone will definitely become love with this recipe once prepared. Do check out this recipe and let me know your valuable feedback.
- Chicken, cut into small pieces – 300 g
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Yogurt – 3 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp ( depending on your taste )
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
Method of preparation :
- Take a large mixing bowl and add yogurt.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, pepper powder and salt to it.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of oil and lemon juice.
- Mix well everything and make a marinade which is thicker in consistency. Taste the marinade and add more salt and pepper if required as per your taste.
- Add chicken pieces to the bowl. Marinate the chicken pieces such that the marinade completely covers the chicken pieces.
- Allow the marinated chicken pieces to rest for 5 to 6 hours.
- After 5 hours, preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 220°C.
- Place the chicken pieces on a foil over the tray or place the chicken pieces on sticks over the tray.
- Brush the tray with one tablespoon of oil if you are using the tray directly.
- Place the chicken pieces over the tray once the preheating is done.
- Select grill mode in the oven and bake at 220°C for 45 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn the chicken pieces to the opposite side.
- Bake again for 15 minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked completely. The cooking time depends on 3 factors, size of the chicken pieces, time and temperature of your oven.
- If the pieces are bigger, you have to grill the chicken pieces for 1 hour or above.
- Take out the tray and place a small bowl of burnt charcoal in the centre of tray for a smoky effect. Make sure you cover the tray with a foil or large bowl. Keep it undisturbed for 10 to 15 minutes
- Tandoori chicken is ready to serve.
- You can serve this hot chicken with mint chutney or homemade mayonnaise.