Kadala curry or black chickpea curry is made using black chickpea with grinded coconut.Black chickpeas being a good source of proteins, this curry is nutritious and healthy. This curry is one of the most common breakfast curries in kerala.
It goes well with puttu, idiyappam, paratha, poori, etc. It can also be used as side dish for rice. When I hear of puttu, the best vegetarian combination that comes in my mind is this kadala curry. I will share the recipe of Kadala curry. Here is how to do it.Please do try at home.
First let’s see the ingredients for this preparation.
- Kadala/Black chickpeas – 1 cup
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Onion – 2
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tspn
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tspn
- Chilli powder- 1/2 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tspn
- Garam masala – 1 tspn
- Green chilli – 2
- Salt – as per required
Method of preparation :
- Rinse and soak the black chickpeas in 2 cups of water overnight
- Pressure cook the chickpeas by using the same water + additional 1 cup of water by adding 1 tsp of salt
- Meanwhile when the chickpeas are getting cooked,take a kadai
- Add 2 tablespoon of oil
- Add onion,stir and saute for a minute
- Then add ginger garlic paste and green chilli
- Saute till the onion becomes golden brown
- Add tomato
- Now add turmeric powder,chilli powder,coriander powder and garam masala
- Stir the masalas very well on a low flame and saute for a minute
- Grind the grated coconut and one handful of cooked chickpeas by adding some water
- Add it to the prepared masala
- Finally add the cooked black chickpeas/kadala to it
- Add the chickpeas stock also
- Taste and add salt if needed
- Let the curry boil
- Simmer until all the flavors and the chickpeas are well blended
- Garnish the curry with curry leaves.
NB : Grinding together grated coconut and some cooked chickpeas gives a good texture for our curry.