This is a simple pudding recipe of bread with apple and an egg custard sauce. This is similar to the bread pudding. But we are adding apple to give an additional flavor to pudding. Apples can be added directly to the bread mixture or can be caramelized before adding. I had added the apples in small cubes directly without caramelizing.
Apple bread pudding is an amazing comfort dessert which you can have at any time of the day. You can enjoy this pudding both as a warm and cold dessert. This is an easy recipe where the total preparation time is under 60 minutes. Here bread crumbs are soaked in a custard sauce along with small pieces of apple. Adding apple to the pudding makes it extra delicious.
A day older breads are usually taken to prepare the bread puddings. They will be more firm. Previously I had shared the recipe of pineapple bread pudding in my blog. There is a slight variation in these 2 recipes. The taste of apple gets immersed in the custard sauce. Milk and eggs makes this pudding more soft and flavorful.
I usually use milk bread or sweet bread to prepare bread pudding. I would never prefer wheat bread for this recipe since there is a great difference in taste. This recipe can serve 4 to 5 people. The total preparation time is 15 minutes and the cooking time is 25 minutes.
It is an easy dessert for parties and other functions where large quantities are needed. In our family, everyone loves to have sweets after lunch. So, bread pudding play a big role in my home. You can either steam or bake this pudding. Enjoy this super tasty and homey dessert !
1. For bread pudding
- Bread slices – 6
- Apple finely chopped – 1
- Milk – 2 cups
- Egg – 2
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 1/2 teaspoon
2. For preparing caramel
- Sugar – 2.5 tbsp
- Water – 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation :
- Blend the bread slices into fine crumbs and keep aside.
- Take a pan and add milk and sugar to it.
- Now add beaten eggs and vanilla essence into the milk mixture.
- Heat the milk mixture on low flame. Do not boil
- When the milk becomes hot, switch off the flame and add the bread crumbs and apple pieces to it
- Take another pan and add 2.5 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of water
- Make sure the pudding mixture also gets fit in the pan, by leaving some space on the top
- Place this pan on a flame to melt the sugar
- Stir continuously so that the sugar doesn’t burn
- Keep on stirring till small bubble appears and the colour of caramel changes to golden
- Using tongs, tilt and move the pan so that the caramel gets evenly spread across the pan
- Now add the bread, apple and milk mixture to this caramelized pan
- Cover the pan with an aluminum foil by putting some holes on the foil using tooth pick
- Place the pan in a steamer and then cook the pudding for 25 minutes or till the pudding gets detached from the pan.
- Remove from heat, and when the pudding cools down, refrigerate it for 2 hours
- After 2 hours, you can unmould by turning the pudding upside down
- Cut it into slices and serve.