Vegetable cutlets are one of the popular snack recipe in Indian cuisine and there are various ways to prepare this cutlet. Here the tender vegetable patties are coated with bread crumbs and are then deep fried in hot oil so that both sides of the cutlet becomes golden brown in colour.
The vegetable cutlets, which are also known as veg cutlets are a super tasty snack for the kids who resist vegetables during the meal time. The colour and the crispier texture of the cutlets attracts the kids and they choose to have the cutlets themselves. If you prefer a healthier version of this snack, you can either pan fry or bake it in the oven. If you are baking, then you need to brush little oil over the top of these cutlets.
Vegetable cutlets consists of a mix of boiled vegetables. You can customize the patties with the vegetables of your choice. You can also roll the cutlets into desired shapes.
Cutlets are a great appetizer or starters for the parties. This vegan crispier outside, softer inside and fried snack is a perfect snack which goes well with a cup of hot tea in the evening.
- Chopped onions – 3
- Grated carrot – 2
- Boiled potatoes – 2
- Grated beetroot – 2
- Chopped cabbage – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 2
- Ginger chopped – 2 inch piece
- Garlic chopped – 8 pods
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves, split into 3 pieces – 1 sprig
- All purpose flour – 3 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs, from 8 slices of bread
- Oil – to fry
- Salt – to taste
Batter preparation :
Mix 3 tablespoon of all purpose flour with 1/4 cup of water along with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir well to form a batter without lumps. Keep the batter aside.
Method of preparation :
- Heat oil in a kadai and and add chopped onions to it
- Add salt and saute till the colour of onion changes
- Now add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies
- When the raw smell is gone, add turmeric powder, garam masala and pepper powder to it
- Then add carrot, beetroot and cabbage to it
- Close the lid and cook these vegetables
- Mash the boiled potatoes and mix them with this prepared vegetable masala
- Add bread crumbs of 2 bread slices also to the mixture
- Add curry leaves, adjust the salt and mix well
- Now prepare medium sized balls of this mix, and using our hand shape them into patties
- Dip the patties in the prepared all purpose flour batter and then roll over the breadcrumbs, which is kept aside
- Refrigerate the cutlet for 1 hour before frying
- Heat oil in kadai and shallow fry both sides of the cutlet till it reaches golden brown in colour
- Have this tasty cutlet hot with ketchup, salads, etc.
- The temperature of oil to fry should be between low to medium, or else they may absorb oil or becomes darker
- You can also add this cutlet to the vegetable burgers
- For extra taste, you may add some cheese to the prepared vegetable mixture.