Long beans Stir fry is an excellent vegetarian side dish for rice. Long beans is known in different names in different places. They are also called as yard long beans, achinga payar, karamani, etc. Stir fry of vegetables in coconut is called as ‘thoran’. We can prepare thoran using any vegetables.
The stir fry of vegetables with coconut does not require much oil and spices. They are less spicy and can be given to kids also. This curry is an unavoidable daily dish in the houses of Kerala. Hence they play a major role in the festive occasions like onam and vishu.
The yard long beans is a fast growing plant and you can plant the same in your vegetable garden also. They are so yum to eat before it becomes matured to be plucked off. We too have long beans plant in my mom’s vegetable garden in Kerala. So, we get organic long beans for preparing thoran for our lunch. It is better to grow our own vegetables right ?
It will be good to cook this vegetable as soon as you buy it from the store. Refrigerating this vegetable reduces the taste of this long beans. Whenever you get a bunch of yard long beans, make sure you cook it as early as possible. They are also used in Asian salads. Check the below recipe and have this stir fry with hot rice and buttermilk curry.
- Long beans cut into small pieces – 1.5 cups
- Water – 1/4 cup
1.) For Grinding :
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Green chilli – 1
- Shallots – 2
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
2.) For Tempering :
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Finely chopped onion – 2 tablespoon
Method of Preparation :
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add chopped onions
- Then add dry red chilli and curry leaves
- Crush together all the ingredients mentioned under Grinding
- Add the crushed coconut mixture to the kadai and saute for 2 minutes till the raw smell goes off
- Add finely chopped long beans and sufficient salt to it
- Now add 1/4 cup of water and mix everything well
- Cover and cook in medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes
- When the water is evaporated, mix once again and cook the long beans in low flame for 5 more minutes
- Once it becomes dry, stir well and switch off the flame
- Our tasty long beans stir fry is ready to serve with steamed rice.