Shahi Tukda is a traditional sweet recipe which is prepared by frying the bread pieces in ghee and immersing it in a rabdi made of milk. This is a simple and best Indian dessert which everyone can easily try at your home.
This sweet dish is originated from the Nawabi cuisine. Today, shahu tukda is associated with most of the wedding parties, marriage receptions and diwali as the dessert. For preparing shahi Tukda, you have to shallow fry the bread pieces in ghee and then dip it in sugar syrup for 2 minutes. Then pour the rabdi over the toasted bread arranged in a plate.
Shahi tukda is a rich dessert. The quantity can be easily multiplied by increasing the bread and milk. When the toasted bread pieces are dunked in the sugar syrup, they become sweet and moist. The addition of rabdi, makes the bread to absorb it and becomes flavourful.
The word shahi means ‘Royal’ and tukda means ‘pieces’. Shahi tukda can be therefore called as Royal Indian Bread Pudding, which is a high caloried pudding. For a healthier version of recipe, you can brush ghee over the bread slices and toast it in oven for 6 minutes until the colour of bread changes. Thus you can avoid the extra usage of ghee while frying.
You can make this dessert a day before and refrigerate it. The total preparation time is 10 minutes and the total cooking time is 50 minutes. While dipping the bread slices, the sugar syrup should be warm. If the sugar syrup had cooled down, you may reheat the same.
It is better to serve this Shahi tukda hot. Hot shahi tukda is more tastier than the cool one. You can choose your favourite dry fruits to garnish the Shahi Tukda. You can cut the shahi tukda into smaller pieces and serve.
- Milk Bread – 10 pieces
- Ghee – 5 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Water – as needed
- Cardamom pods – 3
- Milk – 4 cup
- Cornflour – 1 tablespoon
- Condensed milk – 1 cup
- Fresh cream – 1/4 cup
- Whipping cream – 1/4 cup
- Pistachio – 1 handful
- Almond or cashewnuts – 1 handful
Method of preparation :
1. ) To cook Rabdi :
First add milk to a heavy bottom pan and bring it to boil. Reduce the flame and add cornflour. Then add 3/4 cup of condensed milk. Stir continuously till it reaches a creamy consistency. Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
2. ) To make sugar syrup :
Take a pan and add 1/4 cup sugar and water. Bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, add cardamom pods and simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. ) Preparation of Shahi Tukda :
- Snip off the edges of bread slices
- Heat ghee in a pan and shallow fry all the bread pieces
- Fry until both sides become golden and crisp
- Then dip the fried bread slices in the prepared sugar syrup for 2 to 3 minutes
- Take a plate or tray which fits 5 bread slices and arrange 5 soaked toast on it
- Pour few spoons of sugar syrup on the arranged toast to keep it moist
- Now pour the rabdi over the bread evenly, covering the top
- Sprinkle cashewnuts and pistachio over it
- Now stack the remaining 5 toasted bread slices over the rabdi and pour sugar syrup on it
- Beat whipping cream followed by fresh cream. Then add 1/4 cup condensed milk to this creamy mix. Mix well
- Add this prepared cream over the 2nd layer of bread
- Again add the rabdi to cover the top portion
- Tap gently and add remaining pistachios and cashewnuts to garnish on the top
- Bake for 5 minutes in a preheated oven
- Cut in portions and serve hot.