Punjabi fish fry is also called as Amritsari fish fry. Amritsari fish fry is the favourite fish fry recipe of Amritsar in Punjab, which is in Northern part of India. In this recipe, a spicy batter is prepared and the succulent slices of fish are coated with this batter and fried till golden brown in colour. This fish fry can be served as an appetizer or starter along with mint chutney.
This is a very easy to do recipe. The coating is light and crunchy, whereas the inner part is juicy and you all will definitely love the texture. You need only minimum ingredients to prepare the batter to fry the fish.
For this recipe, we normally use fresh water fish or white fish fillets. Keep the fish pieces for marination for minimum half an hour. It will make sure that the fish pieces are completely coated and covered with the prepared batter. The presence of gram flour makes it different and distinct from the other fish fry recipes which you have tried.
Before adding the marinated fish pieces, make sure the oil has become hot enough to fry the fish pieces. The fragrance of frying this fish in oil makes our mouth watering. Try out this easy and less ingredient fish fry at your home and enjoy with meals.
Any white-fleshed fish – 500 g
Garlic pods – 10
Garam masala – 3/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 3/4 teaspoon
Ground cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
Chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Gram flour – 2 tablespoon
Juice of one large lemon
Salt – to taste
Method of preparation :
1. Clean and cut the fish into thin slices.
2. Grind garlic to a paste and extract juice and then blend it with lemon juice and spices.
3. Marinate the fish pieces with the seasoned lemon juice and allow it to rest for half hour.
4. Roll the marinated fish pieces gently on the gram flour.
5. Deep fry the fish pieces till crisp and golden colour.
6. Drain thoroughly and serve hot.