Most of you might be wondering by the name ‘ idiyirachi ‘. It is nothing but the shredded dry beef which is stir fried with shallots and other ingredients. This is absolutely a variety dish for all the non veg lovers. Here beef is marinated with salt and turmeric and is sun-dried for a week till it becomes completely moisture free and turns black in colour. This is how the beef is dried. Beef can also be dried using dryers which takes only 2 days for complete drying. If you marinate 3 kg of beef, then after drying you will be getting only 1 kg of dried beef.
Idiyirachi is not so common in every places. Even every restaurants do not serve the same. You will also get dried beef in packets in markets nowadays. But these are very expensive. So, it is better to dry the beef your own at your home.
Before preparing the stir fried dry beef, make sure you soak the dry beef in water. After 2 – 3 hours you may see that the beef has become softer. You can use a stone grinder to crush it into fine pieces. If you want thin pieces, you may use mixer grinder also.
The shredded dried beef is then sauted with shallots, curry leaves and other ingredients. Check the below recipe and prepare this dish at your home also. I am sure you will prepare it again and again.
- Dried beef – 500 g
- Water – to soak beef
- Shallots – 15
- Garlic pods – 8
- Dry red chillies – 5
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoon
Method of preparation :
- Soak the dried beef in water for 2-3 hours
- Crush the soaked beef into fine pieces and keep it aside
- Crush shallots, garlic and dry red chillies together
- Heat coconut oil in a nonstick pan and add shallot mixture
- Add curry leaves and saute the mixture till the colour changes to brown
- Add the shredded beef and pepper powder
- Mix everything well till it becomes dry
- Delicious idiyirachi is ready to be served with hot rice.