Pickles are very common in Indian kitchen. Nowadays pickles are prepared from almost all the vegetables from our kitchen. Every kitchen will be having minimum of 1 to 2 pickle containers. It is better to prepare pickles at your home itself, so that you can have preservative free pickles.
Dates are rich in vitamin A, iron, potassium, calcium and many more. Since they are a good for health, it is better to include them in your daily diet. Dates are used to break the fasting done in Ramadan month, as it provides instant energy.
Dates pickle is one of the most popular pickle which is served with Biryanis and special rices. This pickle is very easy to prepare. The taste of this pickle is sweet. This pickle is an easy to make side dish which can be prepared within minutes.
- Chopped dates, cut lengthwise – 2 cups
- Garlic chopped – 12 pods
- Vinegar – 1 cup
- Sugar – 6 teaspoon
- Gingelly Oil – 1/4 cup
- Salt – as needed
To ground :
- Skin of 20 dry chillies
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Method of preparation :
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under ‘ to ground ‘ with a little vinegar
- Saute the ground masala in oil and add chopped garlic to it
- Then add the dates and stir for 2 to 3 minutes
- Now add vinegar, salt and sugar to it and mix everything well
- Allow it to boil and wait till it thickens
- Once the desired thickness is obtained, switch off the flame
- Store the pickle in a bottle when it is cooled
- You may serve this mouth watering pickle with Biryanis and special rices.