Ladies Finger Mappas, commonly known as vendakka mappas is a mild and flavorful curry of ladies finger immersed in thick creamy coconut milk. This is a form of vegetable stew. Ladies finger is known in different names in different places. They are also called as okras. So, here is a simplified version of ladies finger curry which can be used as a side dish for hot boiled rice and chapatis.
Ladies Finger can be cut and chopped into any desired shapes. I had chopped the ladies finger lengthwise for faster cooking. You can also cut them into round shapes. Another way to save your time is to microwave the ladies finger for 5 minutes by pouring little water over it. This is done instead of sauting the ladies finger in oil initially. Those who prefer less oily food can go ahead with the microwave cooking. Remaining all steps are to be done on the stove top itself.
Chopped ladies finger, which are microwaved or oil sauted are then kept aside. We need to prepare the gravy of this curry using onion, tomatoes and spices. Then the cooked ladies finger pieces are boiled in thin coconut milk for 5 minutes. The flavor of spices with coconut milk amd ladies finger provides an irresistible taste to this curry. When the curry boils, you can add thick coconut milk and mix well with the prepared curry. The consistency of the curry after adding thick coconut milk should be creamy.
This curry can be easily prepared under 30 minutes. The total preparation time is 10 minutes and the cooking time is 15 minutes. Ladies finger has many health benefits. They helps to control diabetes, prevent anemia, weight loss, improves immune system and eye sight. So, those who do not prefer ladies finger stir fry or ladies finger masala gravy can check out this creamy recipe of ladies finger in coconut milk. Prepare and enjoy this super tasty dish and I bet you will finish off the plate in no time.
- Ladies finger, vertically sliced to 2 cm pieces – 250 g
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry red chillies – 5
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Onions chopped – 2
- Tomatoes chopped – 1
- Green chillies slit – 2
- Finely chopped ginger and garlic – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Thin coconut milk – 1.5 cups
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Coconut oil
- Salt – to taste
Method of preparation :
- Heat oil in a kadai and saute ladies finger for 4 minutes till the stickiness is gone. Keep it aside.
- Add some more oil to the same kadai and splutter fennel seeds, followed by mustard seeds.
- Then add dry red chillies and curry leaves, do not burn them.
- Now add onions and green chillies and saute till they become light brown in colour.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic to the onions.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder and coriander powder and saute till the raw smell of the powders are gone completely.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add sauted ladies finger, thin coconut milk and required salt to it and allow the curry to boil by covering with a lid.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid and stir the curry.
- Finally add thick coconut milk, mix well and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with boiled rice or chapatis.
Ladies Finger Mappas | Okra in Creamy Coconut MilkCourse: Vegetarian Curry