Mashed Potato masala is an Indian side dish curry, which is served along with Chappathi’s and Poori. They are also familiar by the name ‘ Poori masala ‘. This curry is a perfect vegetarian combination along with hot poori’s. This curry can also be used as a filling for dosa, which finally gives you delicious Masala Dosa’s.
Whenever I think of making poori for breakfast, I make this mashed potatoes and carrot masala as the side dish. Making of poori’s are a bit time consuming task. So, if you are in a hurry or in short of time in the morning, you may prepare this masala previous night and keep it in fridge. Next day you can re-heat it and garnish with coriander leaves. So you will have to run behind for making poori’s only.
This perfect combination of poori with potato masala will be definitely loved by your kids. My daughter too loves it and finishes her plate soon. Always make sure to use fresh potatoes and carrots in this recipe to make this curry taste better.
The traditional way of making this curry is by boiling the potatoes and carrot separately and then seasoning it with chopped onions along with spices.
Now, about the ingredients, Mustard seeds are initially added to the hot oil which gives a nice flavour to the curry. Split urad dal gives a crunch to this dish. I had used fresh ginger in this recipe. You can also substitute it with ginger paste. The only powder which we use in this recipe is turmeric powder. I had used organic turmeric powder which provides a good flavour and colour to this dish.
You can easily prepare this curry with minimum ingredients. If you have leftover curry, don’t worry! Just fill it inside the dosa batter while making crispy dosa and here it is, our delicious “Masala Dosa”. Do try this absolutely irresistible and comfort side dish at your home and do let me know your feedback.
1. Potato – 3, medium sized
2. Carrot – 1, large sized
3. Finely chopped onions – 2
4. Green chillies – 2
5. Ginger finely chopped – 1 cm piece
6. Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
7. Oil – 2 tablespoon
8. Split urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
9. Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
10. Water – 1/2 cup
11. Salt – to taste
12. Coriander leaves – to garnish
Method of preparation :
1. Pressure cook the carrot and potatoes, remove skin, gently mash them and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and then add mustard seeds followed by split urad dal.
3. Add onions, green chillies, ginger and salt and saute well till the onion changes its colour.
4. Add turmeric powder and saute again until the row smell goes off completely.
5. Now mix the mashed potatoes and carrot with the prepared masala, close the lid and cook for 2 minutes in low flame.
6. Switch off the flame and garnish the curry with coriander leaves.
7. You can serve hot with chappathi’s and poori.