Lemon pepper chicken is a juicy chicken recipe, where the juice has a bit sour taste because of the presence of lemon. If you have lemon and chicken at your home, go for this recipe tonight, as it is a quick and simple recipe. The time consuming part is only in marination. The longer you keep the chicken pieces for marination, the greater will be the taste.
This nice and juicy chicken should be made with fresh lemon. Along with lemon juice, the addition of pepper, garlic and herb seasoning provides a wonderful flavor to our curry. Lemon is a versatile fruit which can be seen commonly in the vegetable gardens of houses. This tangy chicken is one of the best side dish for pastas.
In this recipe, chicken pieces are washed and cleaned properly. A marinade is then prepared, where the chicken pieces gets completely coated with it. They should be kept for marination for about 1 to 2 hours. The marinated chicken pieces are later fried in hot oil along with whole spices.
After chicken pieces are fried, we prepare a sauce in which the chicken pieces are allowed to boil in medium flame. There are many versions of lemon chicken, where the chicken will either be dry or saucy. The addition of curd softens the chicken.
We are not using too much of masala powders here. Only garam masala is used where we add it to the chicken gravy. So, if you need a tangy chicken recipe, you can just scroll down and find the perfect homemade recipe of lemon pepper chicken.
1. For Marinating :
- Chicken, cut into pieces – 1 kg
- Crushed pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Curd – 1/2 cup
2. For preparing Chicken :
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf or all spices leaf – 2
- Cinnamon sticks – 2
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 3
- Finely chopped garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Crushed pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cornflour – 1 tablespoon mixed in 1/3 cup of water
- Green chilli – 1
3. For Garnishing :
- Lemon Wedges – 4
- Coriander leaves – 2tablespoon
Method of preparation :
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the items mentioned under (1.)
- Mix well and keep it aside to rest for 1 hour
- Heat oil and butter in a pan and add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and pepper one by one
- Once the whole spices splutters, add finely chopped garlic to it
- Saute till the garlic turns light golden in colour
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces to the pan and fry the chicken on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes by flipping the chicken pieces
- Once the chicken is fried, add the remaining marinade and cook on low flame for 15 minutes
- Then add cornflour, mixed in water to the pan
- Mix well with the chicken and allow the curry to boil
- Add garam marsala,green chilli and crushed pepper to the boiling curry
- Garnish the curry with coriander leaves and lemon wedges
- Do not boil the curry with the lemon wedges, as the curry will become bitter in taste
- Serve this delicious lemon pepper chicken with pastas.