This easy sponge cake recipe is delicious and quick to make. This is the base cake for all the layered cream cakes you use for birthdays and other occasions. You can cut this cake and fill with butter frosting, whipping cream, fruits, etc. Soaking with sugar syrup makes the cake extra moist.
What I love most of this cake is that we can readily prepare with the staple ingredients found in our kitchen. Also, there is no too much of effort or task in this other than the proper whisking. It usually takes less than 1 hour to prepare the whole cake.
The secret to a spongy cake is in the beating of powdered sugar and butter. I had added 1/4 teaspoon pineapple essence additionally which provides a good smell and taste to this cake. Sift all the dry ingredients properly to make the cake light and airy.
This is an excellent recipe of cake for all the beginners who are getting ready to bake. This is a no fail recipe of cake, if you follow each steps correctly. The temperature of each oven differs. So you can confirm it by inserting a toothpick at the centre and check if it comes out clean.
Try out this soft and fluffy recipe of sponge cake at home using all the below mentioned ingredients and tantalize your taste buds !
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup
- Eggs – 3
- Butter or Refined oil – 1/4 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- Pineapple essence – 1/4 teaspoon
Method of preparation :
- Take 3 eggs and separate the egg yolk and egg whites into 2 separate mixing bowls
- Sieve together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and keep it aside (dry ingredients)
- Whisk the egg white, using a hand mixer or egg beater until foamy
- Once the egg white changes the colour to milky white, add 3 tablespoon of powdered sugar and whisk till it becomes stiff and forms a glossy peak
- Now take the egg yolk and whisk it
- Add vanilla essence to the egg yolk
- Then add remaining powdered sugar and whisk properly
- Now add oil (or butter) followed by milk and pineapple essence
- Whisk until smooth and then add all purpose flour to this batter
- Mix this dry ingredients using a spatula
- Finally add the egg white and mix evenly
- Cake batter is ready
- You can transfer the batter to a 7″ mould pan
- Preheat the oven and bake the cake for 35 minutes at 175°c or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Allow the cake to cool, then cut into desired shapes and serve.