Plum cakes or Christmas fruit cakes are too moist and delicious. The filling of dry fruits with the cake batter makes it more rich and fruity.
1. For Caramel syrup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Hot water – 1/2 cup
2. Dry fruits soaked
- 3 colour tutti fruiti – 1/2 cup
- Cherry – 1/4 cup
- Black raisins – 1/4 cup
- Golden raisin – 1/4 cup
- Dates chopped – 1/4 cup
- Cashewnuts chopped – 1/4 cup
- Almonds chopped – 1/4 cup
Total dry fruit mix = 2 cups
3. Dry ingredients
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups + 2 tablespoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry ginger powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
4. Wet ingredients
- Egg – 3
- Melted butter – 3/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
Method of preparation :
1. Preparing caramel
- Add 3/4 cup of sugar to a pan and switch on the flame
- When the sugar starts to melt, prepare hot 1/2 cup of hot water. Make sure the flame is between medium to low.
- After sometime we can see that the sugar has melted completely and became golden brown in colour.
- By this time add hot water slowly and carefully.
- Boil the caramel for 5 minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Allow the caramel to cool down.
2. Preparing dry fruit mix
- If you have pre- soaked fruit mixture in rum or wine, you can take two cups of that dry fruits mix.
- Else, soak the freshly chopped dry fruits in a small portion of caramel kept aside.
4. Mixing of dry ingredients
- To a siever purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, dry ginger powder and salt
- Sieve this dry ingredients for 2 to 3 times and keep it aside.
3. Preparing wet ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, add 3 eggs.
- Using egg beater or spatula, mix them till fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well
- Then powdered sugar and mix again
- Now add melted butter and mix everything properly.
- Add the prepared caramel syrup and mix gently.
4. Preparation of Plum cake
- Mix the dry fruits with 3 tablespoon of all purpose flour, so that they don’t get settled at the bottom of the cake.
- Now to the wet ingredients mix, add the flour mix which is kept aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients using spoon or spatula. Do not use beater.
- Add the dry fruit mix to the batter and mix well everything.
- Line 7 inch cake tin with butter paper.
- Add batter to the cake tin.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 170°C
- Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the tooth pick comes out clean, when checked in the center portion of cake.
- Allow the cake to cool and then cut it into slices.