Yam is a tuber plant which is very common in kerala. Majority of people in kerala have this plant in their backyards. This plant has lot of health benefits. We can use the root as well as stem of this plant for cooking.
This recipe is a mildly spiced stir fry of yam with coconut. The difficulty is only in the cleaning of yam. Those who find it a bit difficult task can go for the frozen yam packets which are readily available in our markets. They are also known as ‘Surans’.
Yam’s are high in fibre and in omega 3 fatty acids. Due to their high glycemic index, they are good for diabetes patients. Yam’s can be prepared in different ways. These can be added in ‘Aviyal’, which is one of the main Onam festival side dish along with boiled rice. They can be boiled and can be consumed directly. You can also make crispy chips using this yam. Here is a very simple recipe of yam which you can have along with boiled rice.
- Yam – 500 g
- Grated Coconut- 1 cup
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Shallots – 8
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Green chillies – 2
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as required
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoon
Method of preparation :
- Clean and peel off the yam skin and cut it into small cubes
- Pressure cook the yam by adding sufficient water for 2 whistles
- Wait for the pressure to release naturally
- Grind coconut, 3 shallots, garlic and green chillies along with turmeric powder
- Keep the grinded mixture aside
- Heat oil in a kadai and sputter mustard seeds
- Add dry red chillies, remaining shallots and curry leaves
- Now add the grinded coconut mix to the kadai
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes and then add the cooked yam to it
- Close the lid and cook again for 2 minutes in low flame
- Serve hot with boiled rice.