This is an aromatic and flavorful recipe of crab which is very easy to prepare and incredibly delicious in taste. Crab roast is one of my favourite recipe among sea foods. Cleaning of crab is a bit difficult process. But this tedious process turns worth when you taste this scrumptious crab roast. Nowadays, cleaned and processed crabs are available in markets.
The love for crab curry was accompanying me since childhood. My grandmother used to prepare this dish more often as her house was in Ernakulam, where they get lot of fresh and fleshy crabs. She also taught me how to eat the crab without wasting a single piece of meat inside.
This recipe of crab can be easily made with the ingredients available in your kitchen itself. There are many recipes for crab using coconut, coconut milk, etc. which will be shared later to you. So, today I have adapted this recipe from my mom and I am sure that it will suite everyone’s taste and make your tastebuds happy.
I had used kudampuli ( also known as kerala tamarind) in this recipe. Kudampuli is commonly used in the kerala and karnataka recipes. If you find difficult to spot kudampuli in your place, you can go with normal tamarind or kokum.
This is a mildly spicy recipe and if you want to make it more spicier, you may adjust the pepper powder accordingly. Checkout this absolutely delicious and unbeatable recipe of crab roast at your home also.
1. ) Cooking of crab :
- Crab, cleaned and chopped – 500 g
- 1″ piece ginger crushed
- Kudampuli ( Kerala tamarind ) – 2
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Water – 1 glass
2. ) Preparation of masala :
- Chopped onions – 3
- Tomato, chopped – 1
- Green chillies – 2
- Garlic, crushed – 6 pods
- Shallots, crushed – 8 to 10
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut oil – 3 tablespoon
Method of preparation :
- Pressure cook the crab by adding crushed ginger, kudampuli, salt and turmeric powder with 1 glass of water
- Adjust the flame to low, cook the crab for 5 minutes and then switch of the flame
- Wait for the pressure to release naturally
- By that time, heat oil in a kadai and add coconut oil
- Add chopped onions and saute till the onion becomes translucent in colour
- Now add crushed garlic and shallots to the onion
- Then add tomato and green chillies
- When the raw smell is gone, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder and pepper powder to it and saute properly
- Next add the cooked crab pieces to the prepared masala
- Mix well and make sure that the crab pieces gets completely coated with the masala
- Close the lid and cook in low flame for 5 to 6 minutes
- Adjust the seasonings as per your taste
- Switch off the flame and garnish the crab roast with curry leaves
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot with rice, chapatis or appam.